A good combo

I love food. Plain and simple. I am motivated by food. Wait, that kinda makes me sound like a dog. No, I don't bed for Snausages but man, I love me some good tasting food! If I'm hungry, my cranky level rockets way up and things can get ugly. Just ask Dan about the first time he ever came to visit me...i.e. the pizza ordering incident. I'm lucky the guy ever called me again, let's just say.

So as I'm creeping along in the heinous traffic tonight, I was anxiously awaiting what awaited me in the fridge. Walking through the door, I threw all my things down, took Finley out to do her thing and set about satisfying the tastebuds. First, it was a glass of my favorite vino.


And it's a screw top. Gasp! How tacky! After traveling through New Zealand a few years ago, one of my stops was through their wine country and while I don't consider myself a wine snob, I did become very particular about the wine I like. There is a very distinct difference in taste between California/US Sauvignon Blanc and a New Zealand Sauv. The New Zealand has a much more fruity flavor to it; not a sweet fruity, but rather a dry, almost bitter pear taste. This is why I'm not a somalier...I'm butchering how it tastes on paper. But if you were to do a taste test between a US and New Zealand Sauv, I bet you'd probably lean toward the Kiwi version. Go pick up a bottle...it's only about $10. Plus I love my stemless wine glasses...so sturdy and chic. Although not sturdy enough to withstand wrapping my laptop cord around it and dumping it into my slippers. And of course that was the last of the wine so now I'm without my drink and I have wet slippers.

Moving on! My dinner was leftovers but I like leftovers I cook. I'm a little weird about leftovers from restaurants. Don't ask me why; I just am. I never eat them. They sit in my fridge for waaay too long and become little science experiments before I do a purge and toss them into the trash without even bothering to look at them because I know it will be bad. A couple nights ago, I made one of my fave dishes. The hubs isn't a big fan of this dish and I only make it for myself so it had been awhile since I'd last had it.

This little pile of tastebud tinglers is Tomale Pie. It's such a great dish anyway and requires little work when it comes to actually eating it. It's a total shoveling food. You know what I mean, just shovel it in and barely have to chew it. Ahhh, I just love this stuff and I have my mom to thank for this recipe. I've had this stuff since way back in the day and luckily, my mom is a phenomenal cook and I was more than happy to continue the chain of this yummy dish.

Okay, now I want a second helping. Hmmm....