A birthday shout out

Today falls on the dreaded Friday the 13th. While normally that date kinda weirds me out a little, today it fills me with happiness as it is my awesome husband's birthday. This is our 4th birthday "together", although we technically weren't even together for the first one.


On November 13, 2006, I was at a hotel in California in between ski shows, sending numerous flirty texts to you while waiting to see you and "work" with you. This was the beginning stages of our relationship. And what a relationship we've had. We met at a ski show in Ohio, at a really small ski resort (if you can even call it that) of all places. It was fate if I ever saw it. To think that 3 years from that day I'd be married to the "wow, he's pretty hot" guy is amazing to me. I liked you enough to make sure my company flew you out to Chicago to "help" me at another ski show.

I even remember having the deserted island conversation with one of my best friends after this show. The one that went, "if I were on a deserted island, I'd definitely want Dan there because he's just so funny and easy to talk to." That led to working together at another ski show in Los Angeles; spending just about every minute together, going to The Birds with one of my oldest friends and have him basically give you the "what are your intentions" spiel.

We both left LA wanting to give a relationship a try, despite my being in Colorado and you being in Michigan. It was really hard at times, I admit that, but eventually we were given the opportunity to finally work and be together after 20 months of long distance dating, even if it entailed "living" in a motel in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania.

We had talked marriage but nothing really concrete. I knew it would come along soon, at some point. When you arranged a weekend for us in New York City, I had an inkling a sparkly ring might appear that weekend but didn't expect you to do it when and how you did it. I know it wasn't the way you wanted to do it (stupid rain and fog) but it was perfect nonetheless and I remember every single detail of that night.

I began planning our wedding and a year later, we got married on the most perfectly beautiful fall day (although technically still summer). I blocked out everything around me that day (kamikaze birds, flower girls wearing baskets as hats) so that I could remember everything about that wonderful day. And I do remember everything vividly.

The last several months have been very trying for us and on us as a couple: ambulance rides, losing jobs, having not-enjoyable jobs, getting new jobs across the country. Being separated right now definitely isn't what I had in mind and I'm not strong about it all the time; I can't help it, I love you more every day and miss coming home to you. I know this separation will pass and the sun will come out shining soon.

You are such a wonderful person and I have been truly blessed to have you in my life. We can drive each other nuts sometimes but I love you more at the end of the day. Here's to many, many more birthdays together sweetie.