Giving back

64 miles round trip. That is my commute every day, to and from work. It is not ideal and I swore I would never have a commute like that. Ever. But the economy being what it is, this is the commute I'm stuck with. I started a new route about a month ago on the suggestion of my boss after I told him how much I hated my current route home: half of it was stop and go traffic where you were constantly glued to your rear view mirror to see who next was going to come within inches of slamming into your back end, the other half was stop and go stoplights and Granny riding the brakes. So while this new route added an extra 6 miles to my drive, I decided to give it a try. It's a beautiful drive: ranch land, oil derricks, goats, horses and the view of the mountains driving west is just amazing. I always seem to notice something new each day and a couple weeks ago, noticed a vinyl "Volunteer Here" sign on a fence. Right next to it was the entrance to the Colorado Therapeutic Riding Center. I kept the name in my mind until I could get home and do a search for them online.

Over that weekend, I found CTRC's website and started reading their all the information they had to offer. Not only on their organization but also on their volunteering. They offer therapy in the form of horseback riding to people with mental and physical disabilities. I decided right then I wanted to see what I could do to become a volunteer. After a few emails and phone calls, I was signed up for my orientation day.

Last night I pulled into the parking lot and met with the volunteer coordinator and began my training, so to speak. It was then on to meet with my "instructor" for the evening, as well as the horse and rider we'd be assisting. While I won't go into specifics on the rider (other than she was so enthusiastic), our horse was Lou...a high-energy, nippy mare who reminded me of my old horse, Baylor. Not exactly a good reminder as she kicked me in the hip at one point during our time together!

I will admit I was extremely nervous. I didn't want to say or do the wrong thing; didn't want to accidentally offend anyone. I do tend to stick my foot in my mouth at times and certainly did not want to do that here, of all places. Trying to quell the nervousness, I focused on the horse and my surroundings. I love the barn environment. I love the smell of it-all of it. I love the sounds-the horses snorting, the sound of saddle leather. It brings back memories of riding as a kid and that definitely made me happy.

While I was more of a "shadower" yesterday, I will be starting class on my own as a volunteer on Saturday. And while I'm still a little nervous, the thought of being able to be a part of something so awesome is overriding that and I'll just have to get over my fears!

The heart of a volunteer is not measured in size, but by the depth of the commitment to make a difference in the lives of others.-- DeAnn Hollis