And cue hysteria...

For several months now, we've all been subject to the hysteria that is the Swine Flu. And that's putting it mildly. I remember reading articles about it online and just about fell out of my chair laughing from all the comments of readers. The hysterical comments. "I'm not going to any Mexican restaurants because Mexicans carry it." "I won't go to malls anymore because I could pick it up there." "Let's lock all the borders to keep the Mexicans out!" I will admit I was a little more concerned than most as I had just very recently gotten over a very nasty bout of pneumonia and my immune system was seriously compromised: it took me about 2 months to feel almost normal again. I started thinking about what I could do to prevent picking up this latest killer. But I didn't do anything more than what people should already be doing: washing my hands frequently, using hand sanitizer when I couldn't wash my hands, keeping my fingers out of my eyes and nose. Nothing wacky like wearing a mask in public or forgoing public places altogether. (On a side note, try going into a grocery store after having had pneumonia and during the beginnings of the Swine Flu hysteria. I'd try and suppress any coughs because I was sure I was going to get stoned in the frozen foods aisle the first time I did it.)

After reading all that I did on the Swine Flu and comparing notes on the pneumonia I (supposedly) had, I started to wonder if I hadn't had the Swine Flu myself. I got sick a week before the news broke world wide, when mass hysteria started basically. Due to how I felt, I was convinced I had the seasonal flu but the doctor stated that I had mycoplasma pneumonia. She didn't run any tests and my research states that this type of pneumonia had mild symptoms. That is entirely possible but folks, this was the sickest I have ever been in my life. And I'm pretty sure that trumps having Scarlet Fever as a baby...times 10. There were times I really just wanted to die. I had horrible body aches and chills (anything touching me hurt), pounding heart (to the point where my shirts would move), fever, sweating and zero energy. And then there was the breathing part of it. Yeah, it wasn't easy. It hurt to breathe and breathing itself was very difficult. I'd have coughing fits that would leave me struggling to breathe. It was about 5 days before I had enough energy to take a shower and even then, I had to sit in the shower and spent about 10 minutes afterward trying to catch my breath. Having asthma made things pretty complicated and even woke up several times gasping for air. It was not an enjoyable time in my life and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But it did make me wonder if I didn't in fact have the Swine Flu instead of this type of pneumonia. It wouldn't surprise me, especially from what I've heard from those that have really been hit hard with it and the time that I got it. I know that I did end up with pneumonia either way, which is proving to be a very common problem with those that get Swine Flu and um, perish.

As the summer months rolled on, the swine flu coverage was still there. It talked about how it could be the next pandemic to wipe out millions and who it could affect most. This I paid attention to because I was in one of the high risk groups: asthmatics. Blast my crappy lungs and airways! Almost immediately after the swine flu problem came to light, the CDC started talking about fast-tracking a Swine Flu vaccine and that it would first be available to those in the high risk groups: pregnant women, those with underlying health conditions like wheezy me over here. While some people were signing up for the vaccine trials faster than you can say "free TV's" on a Black Friday sale, I was a little hesitant. Did I really want to get a vaccine that had been made in a hurry? Most vaccines are made over a lengthy period of time to make sure they get the dosing and chemical compositions just so. Who knew what the side effects would or could be? So far the only side effects were the common sore arm after injection that the seasonal flu vaccine gives us. I don't take any medications unless absolutely necessary. I don't break out the antibiotics every time I have a sinus infection (way too often) or bronchitis (again, way too often). People abuse antibiotics and meds in general and this is what creates zero resistance to bacteria.

However, it brought to light the issue that arose after a similar Swine Flu outbreak in 1976. Scientists fast tracked a vaccine after an outbreak at a military base. Things were fine for a couple months and then Bam! 500 people were diagnosed with Guillian-Barre syndrome after receiving the vaccine. No it's not a large number but still. Guillian-Barre is an often reversible but sometimes fatal paralysis disease that often occurs right after another infection, such as influenza. The '76 vaccine was made in such a hurry that things may have been overlooked. Could we have the same problem with the '09 vaccine?

I haven't decided yet if I'll be getting the Swine Flu vaccine or not. I have gotten the seasonal flu vaccine but I do this every year anyway due to having asthma. If I didn't have the Swine Flu, (which I kinda hope I did because then I'd have an immunity to it) then I'm in the group that tends to not fare so well if infected. I.e. deceased. While I haven't decided what I'm going to do just yet, I will continue to keep taking my extensive combo of vitamins (thanks nutritionist Mom!) and try not to worry about it! Stress and constant worry can attribute to getting sick so why not focus on something else?