Seriously?

Throughout my day (when I'm not busy, of course), I peruse through several newsworthy websites: CNN, MSNBC, Newsweek, etcetera. Earlier today I saw one of the headlines on MSNBC, "Michelle Obama's Shorts Controversy" and just had to click on it.
Well, apparently the powers that be (not sure who "they" are) feel that her wearing shorts is inappropriate. Inappropriate for what, I wondered. The photo was taken as she was getting off of Air Force One. For a hiking trip to the Grand Canyon. In August. Hello people!!! Have any of you ever been to the Grand Canyon in August! It's a freaking oven in a sandbox! I'm sorry, should she be wearing a polyester power suit with enough shoulder pads to withstand a nuclear blast? The woman is going on an outdoorsy trip with her family to the desert, not a political luncheon. I have yet to figure out what the problem is exactly: the shorts are not too short, she's wearing all-terain shoes and is wearing a button-up over what is probably a tank top. Oh the horror! Gimme a break people...she's dressed quite appropriately for what she's doing - hiking with her family in the summer. Put her in a sports bra and micro running shorts and then we can talk but let's find something else to put on the front page of a major internet website and stop dumbing ourselves down.