Apparently the recession does not apply to all of us

The wedding industry is a serious rip-off I've learned in my 10 months of planning. For example, a dozen roses for your kitchen counter probably runs you around $20. Mention it's for a wedding and the florist sees the opportunity to bend you over and make a serious profit. Your twenty dollar vase is now costing you close to $100 and you "ooo" and "ahhh" over it. Even if I were in the position to be spending $1,000 on invitations (yes, they do exist...I see them in magazines all the time), I so would not do it! Me? I did them myself and spent about $40. I love cool stationary and cards as much as the next girl, but it is a piece of paper that is going to be slapped on someones bulletin board or fridge for a few months and then tossed in with little Timmy's Play-doh versus Cheerios creation. Things can look awesome without spending a fortune.

Back when I had satellite (and actually before I was even engaged), I watched a show called Platinum Weddings. They should really call it, "Things Rich Brides Have At Their Wedding That You Never Will." These girls basically have no budget. Meaning, Daddy Warbucks has a bottomless wallet and is letting his little princess spend $80,000 on flowers that are literally, "if I don't get these Cymbidium orchids to match my dress I will just die!" Who knew it was a life or death situation! Gasp!

So while my wedding budget may seem at times unattainable, I cannot fathom the amounts that these brides spent. Here's a little rundown for you:

  • Amy (real life Barbie doll) and Ryan: 400 guests; Budget: $300,000+. I don't even know 200 people, let alone 400 I'd want to invite anywhere!
  • Another Amy and Vince: 220 guests; Budget: $550,000. The guest list is slightly more manageable but again, what is with the budget!
  • Lauren and Kristopher: 600 guests; Budget: $1,000,500. Who are these people inviting...their UPS and Fedex guys? I can't even go into the budget...
  • Varuni and Minesh: 1,100 guests; Budget: $1,600,000. Seriously, where do you get that many people and what do you spend that on??? Did they buy the space they held the reception?

So while at times I wish I had a bottomless wallet for this wedding, at least I know that every. single. thing. at this wedding (besides the food and photography) was done.by.me. I am now a Do-It-Yourself queen and damn proud of it. Just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it looks cheap.