Over in the blink of an eye

For 12 months and 5 days, I spent basically every waking minute thinking about my/our wedding. What kind of favors did I want for the guests, what kind of centerpieces, what kind of flowers for my bouquet, what kind of food to serve. It consumed most of the day; yes, even when I should have been working. I was always coming up with ideas and trying to think of how to make them work. Not to sit here and toot my own horn (but I will because this is my blog and we all deserve a little horn tooting sometimes!), but I have a creative, artistic side. Always have. Took art as much as I could throughout high school (Art V and Independent Study in Art my senior year), art in college, majored in an art (photography). So I have ideas about what I want. I wasn't one to just buy something out of a catalog; no, I was designing things myself and making them myself. That and I can't justify spending $1,000 for someone to make my invitations and centerpieces when I did them for under $300.

So come Friday, September 18th, all of my butt-busting work was put to the test. Everything was as done as it was gonna be. Now it was time to focus on the most important matter at hand: the ceremony itself! I remember standing outside in my dress with the photographer and felt nervous. Not nervous of the ceremony itself but nervous that I would turn into a big, blubbering baby. I wanted to have some decent pictures of myself saying my vows; not mascara running and a snotty nose! It's funny to hear some brides say they don't remember much of the day; that it was all a blur. But I still remember almost every detail. At least the ones that were important to me. Walking down the path to go see Dan and his face when he saw me for the first time, walking down the aisle and seeing only him, the beautiful scenery around us, The Kiss. I don't remember if the flower girls were behaving or throwing tantrums (they weren't...they were quiet). I remember taking a moment to just take in the scenery around us. Afterward I thought that people were probably thinking I wasn't paying attention but I was; I was just trying to soak in everything and just loving the beautiful mountains. Everything I'd hoped for in a wedding was here: the perfect guy, the perfect location, the perfect weather.

It's amazing how quickly it was all over and before I knew it, we were driving back down to Vail and to our condo. I'm still stuck with the feeling of, "what do I do now?". It will take me some time to get over that feeling. In the meantime, I have photos that friends took and I'm waiting with bated breath until our photographer has our photos ready.