Common sense is not as common as you'd think

Yesterday I heard of 2 people who drowned while rafting on the Arkansas River near my old summer stomping grounds. You never like to hear about these tragic stories but for me, it's even harder to hear when rafting was my life from May-September for several years. Details started to be released and it was learned that the accident happened on a Class V run, Pine Creek. I wasn't too surprised to hear it happened in this section of the river as it is considered an expert run. I've rafted it myself and have watched numerous boats flip and dump passengers there. That being said, it was also discovered that the victims had no previous rafting experience and were not wearing helmets. Sigh. Again, I never want to hear about these kinds of stories but when common sense is not used, it's hard not to think, "what were ya thinking?"


I am by no means the most experienced rafter in the world. I rode along with friends who were guides for years before I trained to be a guide myself and even then, still ended up getting tossed in the drink a few times. I've rafted everything from flat, Mississippi River style rivers to dropping 14' waterfalls,

drop-to-your-knees-and-kiss-the-ground-when-you're-done rivers. But the one thing that has remained unwavering is my healthy respect (possibly fear) of the river. I've backed out of trips for not feeling confident enough in my abilities and that can cause problems for not only you, but for your fellow rafters.

Also, you should never raft above your ability. That means if you are 350 pounds and have a heart condition, it may not be a wise decision to try an advanced run your first go round. Sure, who doesn't love an adrenaline rush? I sure enjoyed the thrill of going through a rapid and looking back at what I'd just paddled through but I also accept the fact that rafting may not be a great activity for me anymore since my asthma became more of an issue. It's just not a risk I'm willing to take anymore.

I always wore my ridiculous looking helmet on anything Class IV and up. And I mean ridiculous looking: think 12 year old boy in a bright red skateboard-slash-rock climbing looking helmet. And while the victims were wearing their life jackets, I hear of so many river deaths where life jackets were not used. What?!? You should never never ever get into any body of water without wearing a life jacket. I don't care if you're Michael freaking Phelps, you should never get into the river/lake/creek/etcetera without a life jacket on. That includes the scores of people tubing down the South Platte lately. It. Is. Not. Smart.


I'm praying for the families of the victims, and also for the other 2 rafters involved. No one ever wants or expects these things to happen when they're going out for what is thought to be a fun day on the river. I just wish people would use a little common sense when it comes to the river and then maybe these things wouldn't happen as often.